Lunching at breakfast time, Far Cry 2:

It's half past bloody ten and I'm eating lunch.
Reason? Just finished my job duties for this year, and I WANNA GO HOME!

And I still haven't even had my morning coffee. Scratch that, I'm having it now.

I probably made my pay quota too, see if I work for a certain time period, I get paid a certain amount; if I work longer, I am paid more and so forth.

I am torn between playing psp until half past eleven or just going home now. Sigh.

I'll probably go home. Many things to do, many games to play!
Speaking of which: yesterday I was playing Far Cry 2, a shooter/adventure set in a fictional war-torn African nation.
The reviews mention it as being a good depiction of Africa. And while having a better than average shooting mechanism, it does present you with an Africa so beautiful you almost forget your game character us dying of malaria.
I expected all sorts of things from it, and it didn't disappoint nor surprise me much. One thing surprised me though: It managed to rekindle my love toward the place.
I grew up on Wilbur Smith's bestsellers, and while they all share the same bland pulp-adventure recipe, they also present gloriously beautiful depictions of the African continent.
This is not tourist Africa, rather the place where you can be in a town, then cross a hill and be eaten by lions or trodden by elephants. Raw, malaria-ridden, poacher-infested, war-torn burning beautiful Africa that can kill you as soon as look at you.

That man really loves Africa, and it rubbed off on me.
I outgrew Mr. Smith's books long ago, but surprisingly it seems those teenage feelings are still there somewhere.

I found myself wandering off-route, completely ignoring instructions to kill weapons merchants or save civilians or even hunt for rough diamonds, for just wandering around in the jeep I stole from that European mercenary my character offed.
The sights are a thing of beauty to behold:
Jungles, savannah, shanty towns, rivers with corrugated iron bridges, mountains, brushfires, the people's reactions to you, but the ambient sounds, good god! You sit in the bush waiting for that truck load of mercs to pass you by, and you don't know which is more worrying: them finding you, or the weird sounds coming from the bush right beside you.
Anyway I don't want to bore you more than I should, so just go pick it up if gaming is your cup of tea. Otherwise, boy are you missing out!

Ok peoples, I hope I'll post again tomorrow but just in case:


Happy new year!

Best of everything to you all!


P.s. Lynnette: thank you for your wishes yesterday!uh appreciated!

--Posted on the run!
blog comments powered by Disqus